RE: The failings of (engineering) organizations

Bill,
I can't agree with you less - I think you missed the part about being a
minority, even a Jew in this country is discriminated against and maybe you
have to be Jewish to understand when someone tells you one thing but means
another. I often get the inside "scoop" on anti-Semitism as my wife worked
for a hospital that made a tremendous amount of money off winter visitors to
our area who happened to be Jewish, but were discriminated against on the
sly. What I mean by this is that those performing the services consistently
made degrading comments against the Jews that they served. Even here in the
land of opportunity it is easy to deny minority's access to places they
might like to live, work or simply vacation. The law protects minorities IF
you can prove that you were discriminated against.
Lets not forget Women in our society - the lower earning potential for equal
work, the subordinate status that prevents them from competing in a mans
world.
Afro-Americans, Hispanics (who are slowly growing into a majority in certain
areas of the country) all face discrimination that prevent them from
competing fairly in our society if only because the level of education below
college can not or will not find teachers of equal skills to train them on a
level that they can compete fairly.
You have a choice - you don't want to pay for membership or you can. If you
can and choose to you will be accepted as your money is as good as the rest.
However, there are many Jews and other minorities in this country denied the
more basic needs of our society because they are simply minorities and must
deal with this ignorance. Your last statement was more realistic - "your
financial status is irrelevant."

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Join our Free Topic Specific e-Mail Discussions at:
http://www.structuralist.net