RE: The failings of (engineering) organizations

Chris,
First - this is a letter to agree with you. Some years ago I lived in Venice
California and had a friend who was black. He came to me one day to say
goodbye as he was moving back to Alabama. I was astounded - why would a
Black man move back to Alabama when he could live in California. Dwayne did
work for me so I knew he could make a living and over the years we grew to
respect one another.
I asked him how he could consider moving back to the south as I knew what it
was like to be a Jew in Louisiana for only six months. I had fellow soldiers
in the early 70's accusing me of killing Christ and suggesting that I had
hoofs and horns as all Jews did. The troubling part was that they believed
this.
Dwayne told me that at least in Alabama he knew who hated him. In California
people said one thing and thought another - how right he was. I recalled
that life had not changed much when my family moved to Skokie Illinois from
Chicago to buy their first home in the 50's. My dad wanted to live on the
East side of Crawford Avenue in an established neighborhood, but was told he
could not purchase a home there as it was a "restricted" area. We could only
live on the West side of Crawford and this was why so many Jews congregated
in the same area of Chicago and the new suburbs like Skokie.
Today this is somewhat different in Chicago - there is more integration of
neighborhoods, but in the Palm Springs area I can tell you that separatism
is still alive and well - most of the communities are gated and it isn't to
protect the properties of those within the gates.
I think we need to be aware of the problems that exist in our country. Let
me, hopefully, shock you with this tidbit: Jews, Blacks, Hispanics and most
other minorities are also full of prejudice the same as the Christian
majority and we call this a moral society?

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Join our Free Topic Specific e-Mail Discussions at:
http://www.structuralist.net