RE: Residential Building Permit

Just a note of caution with Massachusetts - if you do stamp a house plan, the building inspector will likely ask you to sign off that the work was done in accordance with the plans.  Make sure that you know the builder and that you are able to do an inspection and/or track the progress of the work via other means.

If anything comes up in Mass, I am sure to notify the builder that inspections may be required and that the costs will be extra.  For me being in PA, that can be quite a bit, but I only work for a couple of reputable builder friends doing small stuff that can be blessed with a couple of emailed photographs.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Mark Gilligan <MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com> wrote:
You asked do you need the stamp of a design professional to get a permit
and you have received an answer.

What you did not ask is, do you need the expertise that one or more design
professionals can provide you with.

Many houses have been built without any of these design professionals and
many of the owners are most likely satisfied but there are situations where
problems can occur and the proper design professional can help you to
reduce the risk.

Questions you should ask yourself:
1 What level of risk are you willing to take?
2 Have you built anything comparable to this before?
3 Who designed the house and prepared the drawings? How experienced are
they?
4 How experienced is your Contractor and his subs?
5 Is this a simple house or is it complex with an unusual shape, long
spans or many windows?
6 Is the building located on a flat lot or on a hilly site? Are there any
retaining walls or basements?
7 How are you going to evaluate how much money you pay the Contractor as
you go along?
8 Are you using any unusual construction materials?

There are many well intentioned people around who will say they know how to
build a "quality" house. The problem is that many of them do not know what
they do not know.

Good design professionals are not cheap but they can often save you big
time by preventing expensive problems.

Mark Gilligan

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org