RE: Design for Liquifaction (or mitigation thereof)

So...if you go with a mat, it sounds like you may not
design it to resist the expected differential
settlement from liquefaction (based on Hayward Baker's
recommendations).

If that is the case, I guess the rest of the structure
and any heavy architectural elements had better at
least tolerate that large differential (didn't you say
up to eight inches? over what distance?)...to the
extent that that nothing falls and kills someone.
That could involve some interesting calculations...

d a v e  e v a n s

Bill Allen wrote:

preliminary recommendation. Shelton believes (w/o
looking at eport, seeing plans or boring logs) that a
mat foundation might be the most logical (read:
cheapest) if the client is informed that major repairs
will be necessary after an event including compaction
grouting to remove the tilt and settlement.
Interestingly, Shelton thinks (with his gut) that,
even with subsequent compaction grouting, as well as
design of flexible utility connections, a mat
foundation is still probably going to be cheaper than
stone columns or other geological improvements.