From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: The failings of (engineering) organizations

Dennis Wish wrote:

>Bill,
>I can't agree with you less - I think you missed the part about being a
>minority, even a Jew in this country is discriminated against and maybe you
>have to be Jewish to understand when someone tells you one thing but means
>another.

[MY FAVORITE SCENE FROM WOODY ALLEN'S "ANNIE HALL" (1977)]

ALVY
I distinctly heard it.  He muttered under
his breath, "Jew."

ROB
You're crazy!

ALVY
No, I'm not.  We were walking off the
tennis court, and you know, he was there
and me and his wife, and he looked at her
and then they both looked at me, and under
his breath he said, "Jew."

ROB
Alvy, you're a total paranoid.

ALVY
Wh- How am I a paran-?  Well, I pick up on
those kind o' things.  You know, I was
having lunch with some guys from NBC, so
I said ... uh, "Did you eat yet or what?"
and Tom Christie said, "No, didchoo?"
Not, did you, didchoo eat?  Jew?  No, not
did you eat, but Jew eat?  Jew.  You get it?
Jew eat?

ROB
Ah, Max, you, uh ...

ALVY
Stop calling me Max.

ROB
Why, Max?  It's a good name for you.  Max,
you see conspiracies in everything.