From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: The failings etc. Enough, already.

This is an apology, not for anything I've said, but for helping set
Bill off. I should have learned my lesson in 1959 when an opinion about
intermarriage during a family dinner triggered shock and horror and a
warning lecture about the imminent racial war of annihilation. Since
then I really have tried to avoid repetitions, but there are limits.
Anyway, I've been called niggerlover, pinko, godless pinko,
anti-american and worse by worse than Bill, so I figure I've paid my
dues. I really do promise to try to keep away from social commentary,
_except_ where  serious bullsh¡t wants countering. As to distinguishing
misinformation from opinion, I'll use my discretion.

My only excuse is that people who don't remember the 50's and 60's in
the US, which is most of you, need to hear some stuff. If, like Bill
claims, you never rode a Jim Crow bus or saw Bull Connor's goons
setting dogs on children at the Pettus Bridge, you need to know that
those things, and more, happened. I grew up in Florida and Virginia and
Alabama and I know about lynchings and night-riders and bigotry that
were part and parcel of state governments in those days. Bill may be in
denial--like some--but it's fact.

Also unlike most of you, I remember the Berlin Airlift, the Marshall
Plan and how we welcomed thousands of refugees to this country when
other nations weren't interested. Like everyone else in the world,
we're part good and part not-so-good. Americans winked at company thugs
whaling strikers, racial prejudice, and discrimination against women
but we also supported the first hard steps to begin righting the
wrongs. We do good things, even if we do them with reluctance and
misgivings, and we don't need to stick our heads in the sand when
someone says we haven't finished.

For anyone who wants, I'd love to chat off list if you're curious about
US goings on, not filtered through the White house or Fox News. In
return, I'm sure interested in foreign viewpoints. Only an idiot would
claim total expertise in anything, but I have worked both sides of the
counter. Everyone knows I'm a dedicated and conscious liberal, but I
voted for Nixon in 1960, supported the Vietnam war for a while. Like
most white folks, I even thought I knew how my black friends really
felt about race issues. (As opposed to what they told white people.) If
you're a foreign national still wondering (like many Americans) what
the hell happened in 2000, I can explain the Electoral College, too.
;->

P.S. Subscribers from other countries also should know that we're not a
nation of Red States and Blue States--we're purple. See for yourself at
<http://www.boingboing.net/images/Purple-USA.jpg> It's a warning flag
and something of a comfort.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/