Re: Residential building permit

Jeffrey Fertich wrote:

In response to States that do not require Engineering on residential projects, this should not be confused with "providing engineering services". When a state says a sealed set of plans is not required, they mean just that, the plans as a whole do not need to be sealed, must likely the structural issues are covered prescirptivly in the code. It does not mean that a person can provide engineered beams or retaining walls without being a registered engineer. Gerenrally if it falls outside the code, only that item would have to be sealed.

That's a good point.

As an example, the City of Houston requires permitting for residential construction, and you may use prescriptive requirements of the code to accomplish same. However, IF you have structural plans at all, they MUST be sealed.

Bearing in mind that Texas is among the most "wild and wooly" states with regard to construction permitting--outside of incorporated areas, there is NO requirement for construction permits and no inspection authority, for exaample--this is significant.

Do NOT allow an owner or builder to convince you that "you just need to give me some plans, they don't need to be sealed." That is FALSE and it is a violation of the engineering practice acts of every state that I'm acquainted with, including wild 'n' wooly Texas.