Post v. Column defined

Is there a better/alternate way to interpret the difference between a post and a column as defined by OSHA?  OSHA's posts must weigh less than 300 lbs and generally support stairs and other light items, or nothing at all.  Columns on the other hand, must have four anchor bolts and be able to support a 300 lb load at the top with an eccentricity of 18 inches.

Is the design engineer responsible for making the final determination which elements are posts and which are columns?  I am looking at a light wood-framed construction project with several steel columns/posts to carry concentrated loads.  Most of them are less than 300 lbs, but a couple might be over.  Following OSHA's definitions, is it straight forward that some elements are columns with 4 bolts and some are posts with 2 bolts?

Or is there any room for interpretation to OSHA, or are there exceptions to these rules?

Is the EOR responsible for determing the final weight of these columns, and perhaps adding the weight of connection plates, etc. just to specify if there are 2 or 4 anchor bolts?  Seems like this might be a grey area, but I would hate to err on the wrong side.

Does OSHA have jursdiction to fine a structural engineer for not detailing this properly?

Thanks,

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?