Re: Residential building permit

Jeff:

In the State of Michigan, from the PE Licensure act point of view,
_ANYONE_ can design a residential home that is less that 3500 sq ft (you
do have to be a little careful that your are using the correct definition
of livable space for the sq ft value).  There is no mention of it having
to be done by prescription code methods.  This means that some person of
the street with no engineering education/knowledge could "engineer" a
beam, etc...from point of view of the State licensing act.

Local jurisdictions, however, can and do imposed local rules and
requirements for having a licensed professional involved.  In some cases,
this means that if it is in the code (either prescriptive or not) a
licensed professional is not required.  But if you do something that is
not directly in the code (i.e. SIP homes is a good example), then a
licensed professional may be required.  In other cases, if it is not in
the IRC code (adopted by the state for state wide use), but in the IBC
(i.e. does not meet prescriptive requirements but must be "engineered")
then a professional may be required.  In the end it varies heavily by
local jurisdiction.

Thus, we always call/contact the local building official to determine what
may or may not be required.  This would be in addition to determining what
might be required by the licensing act in a particular state.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI