Re: Residential building permit

The California rules for who can design what are summarized on the one page sheet at the following link to the California Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/pels/pubs/building_design_auth.pdf

In my experience, however, many Building Officials are adept at finding "non-conventional construction" items and do require professional design. That really ticks off some of the "but I've always done it this way" contractors! The comment I've heard from Building Officials is that "the way its always been done" is no longer good enough.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Berkeley CA