Re: Solo Practice - Billing Software

For the first four or five months, I used Open Office - I made up a form letter, and for each client I typed up a bill manually ;-).  On the advice of my accountant, I picked up QuickBooks.  It is simple to set up, simple to use (even an engineer can figure it out), and easy for most CPAs to translate into a tax return at the end of each year.  There are times that QB seems like an advertising venue for Intuit's services, but if you can ignore that part, you'll be doing well. I have heard that Peachtree is much more difficult to set up, especially for the non-accountant, though it can be had free-after-rebate at most office stores in the fall/winter.

My time tracking occurs using pencil on a sheet of paper in the appropriate project folder, and a second set of sheets (new client, new project, invoice prep) lets me "fill in the blanks" quickly so that my bookkeeper can do the data entry.