RE: Glulam Beam Retrofit

What I have done in the past is either use two steel channels (one each side of the GLB) connected to the GLB with through bolts. I have designed the steel channels to take 100% of the load, using the existing GLB as a mechanism to transfer the load to the steel channels. What’s critical with this approach is that the steel channels must be connected to the existing support in some manner.

Alternatively, I have hired Bob Powell (805) 486-2670 in the past as a consultant who provides a retrofit design using a post tensioning approach.

What I won’t do is bolt a steel member to the existing GLB and expect some sort of load sharing to occur. This mechanism is not nearly as mathematically accurate as say welding a cover plate on a steel beam with regards to estimating the load distribution.

If you would like more information about Bob Powell, you can e-mail me privately.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588