Re: Glulam Beam Retrofit

In a message dated 12/15/04 9:00:09 AM, markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net writes:
... Once the ponding was mitigated and the equipment removed we were left with a glu-lam beam that on the whole calculated out, but now had a long horizontal crack near the middle.  I simply calculated the amount of shear flow transfer we needed, had them jack up the beam and then installed all-thread rods vertically through the beam with malleable washers each side.  I mapped out a varied spacing depending on distance to the support. ...

Mark, was the loss of section due to the new bolt holes a concern?

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz
Structural Engineer
Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com