From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 9:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: number crunching

Ken,
Right after engineers learned to walk upright, and just prior to the
development of digital computers there were mechanical calculators.  The old

mechanical calculators (I am not talking about mechanical adding machines)
whirred and clicked, and as the result was presented it made a sound very
similar to crunching as it printed the results.

Some of the punches for document binding make a similar crunching sound.

Regards,
Harold Sprague