Multiple Taxation - City Business License

I received a private e-mail about a post I referenced a couple of years ago when some cities attempted to make engineers and architects purchase a business license in the location where they did not have a physical presence. This issue surfaced again as this engineer is being told that he must purchase the “special fee license” because he performs Structural Observation in the city of Santa Monica. Personally, I think this is a last ditch effort for cities to overcome their financial problems by attempting to gain additional cash flow from the business community.

The lower court decision and the appeals court overruling decision is posted on our Structuralist.Net Professional Blog! @ http://tinyurl.com/48lef .

If you are having trouble over this reoccurring issue then I would recommend you read the appeals court decision in the case of City of San Jose v. Ruthroff, Englekirk, Etc. Engineers, Inc. 1 Cal. App.3d 462; 183 Cal.Rptr. 391. Again, follow the “tinyurl” link above to the direct Blog page where the complete decision has been posted.

If there is any justification for what Santa Monica and a couple of other cities that I have heard about are doing, please let me know and I will add a posting under our Professional Ethics & Law  Blog! (web log) on the Structuralist.Net.

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

Join our Topic-Specific Professional Lists

http://www.structuralist.net

"Apathy is Lethal!" University of Pennsylvania, Annenberg Public Policy Center: Political Fact Check at http://www.factcheck.org