washers req'd?

Hi all...  Are washers required at all connections
where a bolt head/nut is bearing against a steel
plate?  My situation is a steel stitch plate that will
provide vertical shear transfer across a masonry
expansion joint.  Holes are slotted along one line,
but wouldn't having washers defeat the purpose of the
slotted hole, even with a "snug-tight" connection?
Mr. Carter, any thoughts?
TIA.
David Topete, PE
SF, CA