Re: washers req'd?

David,

The requirements for washers are shown in the "Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts" (RCSC) Section 6.0 "Use of Washers".  If you are truly putting in a slotted connection for movement then you should back off the nut 1/16 inch and either double nut, stake the threads, or tack weld.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

David Topete <davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

12/15/2004 11:54 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

SEAINT List <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
washers req'd?

Hi all...  Are washers required at all connections
where a bolt head/nut is bearing against a steel
plate?  My situation is a steel stitch plate that will
provide vertical shear transfer across a masonry
expansion joint.  Holes are slotted along one line,
but wouldn't having washers defeat the purpose of the
slotted hole, even with a "snug-tight" connection?
Mr. Carter, any thoughts?
TIA.
David Topete, PE
SF, CA