Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: glulam beam

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In a message dated 12/16/2004 8:39:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, bill(--nospam--at) writes:
That would likely be "CarboDur" plates manufactured by Sika USA
Corporation. That would be a good choice. Not sure if they make plates
of Fiberglass or not, but their trade-name for the glass product is
Actually EGlass is not a Sika trade-name.  It is simply a type of glass - it has good electrical properties - thus was called Eglass.  It is what is used in fiberglass.  Many vendors have Eglass products - Watson Bowman has something called Eglass 900.  I suppose the 900 stands for something.
Sglass (Structural glass) is another type of glass used for fiber reinforcing.  Its tensile strength is about twice as high as Eglass but it doesn't have good fatigue properties.   It's also about twice as expensive as Eglass.  I am not sure anyone markets a Sglass construction product.
The other two materials commonly used for fiber reinforcing are carbon and aramid (a type of plastic, trademarked Kevlar.)
Gail Kelley