RE: Aluminum girts and stainless steel screws

It's always been my practice to not mix metals, especially steel and
aluminum, as there is a great possibility of "Bimetallic Reaction" and
corrosion resulting.  I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Your scenario doesn't make complete sense, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but you have steel siding, connected to aluminum girts, which are connected
to steel studs.  It this is the case, again, connecting all by means of
steel screws is not recommended because of the corrosive potential.  You are
going to have several steel-aluminum interfaces here outside of the screws
themselves.  With some sort of barrier, I imagine it could be done, but this
sounds like a lot of field work for assembly and would be costly.  Go with
light gauge steel C's or Z's and you should be free and clear of any
corrosion potential.

I have worked on several projects were owners have wanted a mix of aluminum
and steel, and each time, we have convinced them to go with one option or
the other.

I do have a question, though.  Why do they want aluminum girts????

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, WY