RE: Aluminum girts and stainless steel screws

I'd recommend that you go to www.ssina.org (Specialty Steel Institute of
North America) for some info available for download.  There is also a
British organization that has some good information (Steel Construction
Institue??).

As for galvanic action, my understanding is that a good rule of thumb
when using dissimilar metals in contact in the manner described is that
the smaller element should be the most corrosion resistant.  When this
is the case, galvanic action is not an issue.  The aluminum (or carbon
steel) studs with stainless screws would satisfy this 'rule', while
stainless studs with aluminum (carbon steel) screws would result in more
rapid corrosion of the aluminum (steel).  I believe that I came across
this information at the above website.

Eric R. Ober, P.E., S.E.
Associate
Holbert Apple Associates, Inc.