Re: The failings ... I second the motion!

On 15 Dec 2004 at 15:09, Christopher Wright wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2004, at 6:41 AM, Gary Hodgson & Associates wrote:
>
> > I agreed with part of that original issue, as so many engineers are
> > just so many heads or bodies in large organisations and are not
> > thought of as professionals.
> I think you put your finger right on it. Most engineers are employees.
> At best you have whatever glory is reflected off your employer. That
> wasn't the case with greats like the Roeblings or Brunel, but that's
> becasue they were known in their own right. The US likes stars, not
> understudies. If you want public adoration you need to be a media
> personality or notorious--just being able to make people's eyes glaze
> over talking shop isn't all that glamorous. My own mother went to her
> grave not knowing what I actually did, day-to-day.

Christopher,

Thanks for the comment.  Also, Bill Polhemus wrote a very good reply
as to why he's happy as an engineer.  However, he is self-employed
and likely happy with his boss.

On the other hand, I've also heard from someone who is only a cog in
a big corporate wheel who fears for his job and fears to speak out.

I'm self-employed but I think that the professional organizations, e.g.,
PEO, do little for their members and are loaded with employees who are
not accountable to anybody.  A lot of employee engineers do not
participate in their organizations as they feel completely detached
from them.

Gary