Web :  www.iaseguj.org,  e-mail: secy(--nospam--at)iaseguj.org
Date : 17-12-2004

Dear Sir,

Sub :  Next meeting of IAStructE, Gujarat Centre on 30-12-04.

Reinforcement by Steel In R.C.C. Construction :

Reinforcement by steel bars (Rebar) is an integral material in Reinforced Cement Concrete (R.C.C.) construction.  The rebar share strength, ductility and durability of R.C.C. construction.

The rebar are of two types : Mild steel or medium tensile steel bars IS:432 (ms) and High strength deformed steel bars (IS:1786). Concrete in R.C.C. construction is brittle. It is well known that concrete of high compressive strength is more brittle. But the elements in structure have to be ductile, more so in earthquake zones. The section ductility is provided by the steel both in flexure and shear. Therefore ductility is equally important as strength if not more. This aspect is often not given due attention during construction.

It has been found in the research reports that peak strains in concrete and steel are nearly the same namely about 0.003. The ductility requirement emphasis that the member should not fail in steel which should continue to provide the ductility. Two margins are provided to meet this requirement namely reduced capacity than that at yield or 0.2% proof stress and a minimum elongation on failure.  For due protection under overload condition reserve strength is provided over yield or 0.2% proof stress. This margin requirement is sometime over looked.

In the meeting, we will discuss these along with some test data. Also, we will discuss briefly problem of corrosion in reinforcement and controversy regarding usage of different types of reinforcement in view of the same.

Kindly send us your views/ suggestions / question etc. regarding these topics. We will discuss the same in the meeting. You may put your views on the website as follows :

1) Simply click on the following link : http://www.iaseguj.org/forum/Files/post.php?action="">

2) Write down your subject and the message in the relevant dialogue boxes.