From: Himat Solanki [mailto:hsolanki(--nospam--at)scgov.net]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 12:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic design of machine foundation

Dear Rich,

I have read your e-mail and it responses by the other subscriberes.
They recommended few books.
Please review the Specila Issue of "Engineering Structures" Magazine.
Published by Elsevier. I believe it was published around 1980's . This
magazine has approximateley 100 pages. but This special issue will
answer all your questions.

Himat

>>> sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com 12/13/2004 3:49:44 PM >>>
I am designing a foundation for a 130,000 lb compressor with dynamic
loads.  The foot print of the equipment is over a 30X40 ft. area.  It
will have a separate mat foundation below it.

I have done some research and it appears to me a dynamic load such as
this requires a special analysis to calculate the deflections based on
the dynamics.  I found several references on this, one in particular
by
Bowles in the 5th ed., chapter 20.  He has a program to calculate the
vertical, horizontal and rocking deflections due to the machine
dynamics.  Is the method he describes in his book what is commonly
used
in practice today?  Is there an easier way to do this?

Bowles method requires the dynamic shear modulus.  Are there some
tables
with typical values for clay soil other than what he has in his text?
Bowles uses primarily metric in this chapter and doesn't have an
equation for English dynamic modulus.

I would appreciate any suggestion I can get for foundation design of
dynamic equipment loads.

Richard Lewis
Lewis Engineering
rlewis(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com