Re: Can a Historic Building be taken down by the property owner?

Dennis,

Typically if you do ANYTHING to a historical building that is officially on an historic registry you need to get permission.  The owner can demolish the building but only after getting the required approval.  I am currently working on the seismic upgrade of a 1925 building and all our drawings are being reviewed by SHPO.  To the extent possible historical buildings are preserved or relocated but sometimes they have to go, especially during major municipal redevelopment.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Dennis Wish" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>

12/21/2004 01:14 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Can a Historic Building be taken down by the property owner?

Just a short question! If a building is entered onto a City’s historic registry, can the private owner of that building and property choose to sell the property and demolish the building or is it protected from demolition by the consent of the City?
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant
dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net
Join our Topic-Specific Professional Lists
http://www.structuralist.net

"Apathy is Lethal!" University of Pennsylvania, Annenberg Public Policy Center: Political Fact Check at http://www.factcheck.org