Re: Can a Historic Building be taken down by the property owner?

One cannot demolish any building without a demo permit and unless someone at the City is asleep a permit will not be given.
One of my clients, an owner in Santa Monica  has been trying for several years to demo a theater which was badly damaged in the '94 event. He has hired some of the best known historic experts as well as structural experts in the country  as well as the best attorneys, over the past couple of years. They may compromise and let him demo all but the front 5 ft. or so.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA