Soil swell

Is there a field test I can do to estimate how much a soil will swell when fifteen feet of it are excavated?  This is a glacial till (New England)  not Texas or California clay.

Or can I assume a certain percentage of and not be too far off?  I'm mostly interested in how much room it will take up when it is excavated.

When I am putting it back,  can I put the lower lifts (greater than 10 ft depth or so) back in fairly thick (i.e. more than a 6 in. lift) and assume the subsequent lifts will compact it,  or do I need to do it all at 6 in. lifts to get good compaction?

Gail Kelley