Re: W21x48 and W21x55 beams

Ken,

For current available shapes go to the AISC web site, then click on Steel Availability in the upper left hand corner.  Pick the shape type (C, W, etc.) but leave the size field empty.  After a while you will get a complete list of all available sizes for that particular shape.  Try the below link to go straight to the search page.

http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Steel_Availability

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Ken Peoples" <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net>

12/22/2004 07:35 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"Steel Detail" <steel-detail(--nospam--at)yahoogroups.com>, "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
W21x48 and W21x55 beams

I know that some of you are going to read this and say "Wake up Ken, these have been out there for a while now", but just in case some of you don't know this, I feel obligated to share this:
I am looking at a job to bid and I see W21x55 beams and I say to myself - "must be a W24x55 or W21x50".  Just in case, I check the LRFD 3rd edition and sure enough there are two beam sizes in there that I was not aware of - W21x48 and W21x55.  I knew that the big W44's were vastly different from the 9th edition, but I had not realized the changes to beams in the range that I use fairly often.  I will have to pencil these into my 9th edition!  Without me going through the entire list, are there any other new lighter (say less than 100 plf) wide flange members that I should know about?

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
LVTA