RE: W21x48 and W21x55 beams

I’ve spec’d both of the sizes you mention and gotten the call from the detailer that I must have meant a different size.  I pointed out these sizes were being produced (I checked the AISC website to confirm) and he was satisfied… for awhile.  We ended up changing those beams to a couple of the older sections because the 21x48 and 21x55 were “not readily available”.  I guess the moral is, check on availability before specifying any large, unusual or new shapes.

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.

Structural Engineer

Member AISC, SEAKM

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.