Re: Can a Historic Building be taken down by the property owner?

A building can be relocated. The laws do not restrict where to a historical building might be relocated to. It probably needs to have a reasonable accessibility at least once a year. Good cheap vacant lands away from valuable locations come to mind.

State historical code allows a moved building to maintain its historical design status.

8-102.1.2 Relocation. Relocated qualified historical buildings
or properties shall be sited to comply with the regular code or as
provided for in this code. New nonhistorical construction related
to relocation shall comply with the regular code. Historical recon-
struction and restoration related to relocation may comply with
the alternatives contained in this code.
I suspect that owners, finding hazardous conditions, have the right not to save the building during the abatement of the hazard. There may be an increase of a hazard in attempting to preserve the structure during the hazard abatement. The end result may not match the safety of that of a new building. If total demolition is safer it may be a right. What comes to mind is lead poisoning a careful removal or encapsulation are of a higher risk than a complete demolition and having a new building.

I encourage the preservation of all existing buildings but discourage taking away the rights of owners.

One aspect of preservation is the GREEN RATING. I hope that a rating of a new building being a GREEN BUILDING is less when an existing structure is demolished. Even if a few pieces are recycled, moving a building, in whole, seems to be more of a GREEN thing to do.

David Merrick, SE
Sacramento