From: Rich Lewis [mailto:sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Minimum Reinforcing for thick slab on ground

I am designing a concrete mat, 3 ft. thick, which will serve as the top of slab as well.  My questions is do I need to provide the minimum top steel of 0.0018% of gross area for shrinkage control based on the overall depth?  Is there a reduction for this for extremely thick slabs?

Rich Lewis

Lewis Engineering