RE: Minimum Reinforcing for thick slab on ground

Rich,

You will definitely want to reinforce the top, both for shrinkage/temperature and the fact your machine may cause vibration/impact loads.  If you are in a high seismic area it will also help confine your anchor bolts.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Rich Lewis" <sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>

12/23/2004 09:21 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Minimum Reinforcing for thick slab on ground

It is a structural slab, in that it is a mat footing for machine equipment.  The top of the mat footing also serves as the slab walking area.  I do have bottom reinforcing running in both of the primary directions.  Top is not required by analysis.  I was wondering if I would get lots of cracks on the top surface from shrinkage and should reinforce for it.

Rich Lewis
Lewis Engineering