RE: Bldg Expansion joints

PCA "Building Movements and Joints" (Fig. 56), PCI Design Handbook (Fig.
3.3.6 in 4th Ed.), and AISC Volume II Connections (Fig. 7-8) all show
essentially similar curves. Concrete is shown to use slightly closer
spacings at higher temperature changes, although it seems to be an
over-refinement given the accuracy of the curves. Maximum spacings range
around 200-ft to 400-ft at 70-degrees F or higher temperature change,
depending upon configuration.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO