IBC Seismic response spectrum

I've encountered differing opinions on the use of the seismic response
spectrum in IBC 2000 (similar in ASCE 7 or IBC 2003) and would like to
hear other opinions:

Section 1615.1.4 and Figure 1615.1.4 (IBC 2000) describe a response
spectrum that includes reduced spectral accelerations for periods below
'To'. Under what circumstances can these reduced accelerations be used
in design?

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO