Re: Solid masonry below grade

Jim
I have seen masonry walls where water has seeped into
the cells and is under some pressure--it has "peed"
out of a 1/4" dia drilled hole.  If you are in a cold
climate as in Penn. it will be subject to freezing until
the depth is below that of frost penetration.  I will
allow hollow masonry on my jobs and if I have my way,
I always spec concrete for below grade walls and if the
customer still insists on masonry, I cover my butt in
writing.
Gary