Re: Tsunami

G Vishwanath wrote:

India has cyclone warning systems in place.
But who ever thought a Tsunami warning system is also
needed?
One of the more tragic stories coming out of this is that the Pacific tsunami warning system folks, in the U.S. and elsewhere, were able to project where the tsunami would hit, and predict its force, and did alert people in the governments of the areas affected. But because the governments in the Indian Ocean region apparently don't have the means to effect a public warning, no warning was given.

It is excruciating to think that people half the world away knew what was going to happen for hours beforehand, yet were powerless to help prevent this massive loss of life. I am afraid when the "final" tallies are known, we are all going to be numbed by the enormity of the death toll.