From: David Maynard [mailto:davemaynard(--nospam--at)ceincorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 1:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Cranes: Curved Track Monorail

What I am dealing with is a curved track, underhung hoist, monorail.  I plan
on using an S-shape for the monorail in hopes of saving $$$ over the use of
"patented track."  (a little input on this issue is welcomed)  The problem
that I am concerned about is the horizontal curve in the track.

Pending I satisfy the minimum curve requirements for the hoist (which is 10'
and I am using 15'), when it comes time for analysis, am I still looking at
a straight up crain monorail analysis or is there any special consideration
that I should account for with the curve???  Do I need more support
structure for the curve???  I've designed crane support structures and
monorails in the past, but never any that have curves in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming