RE: Strap hold down detailing

This is a subjective response – sorry, no numbers.

“How much is enough?” is fairly straightforward with respect to gravity loads.

“How much is enough?” is complex, sometimes vague, esoteric, and sometimes mind-numbing with respect to lateral design.

For the majority of wood-frame buildings, because of the many unaccounted and redundant, lateral force resisting mechanisms, as well as the multiple factors of safety, I’m more and more inclined to not subject the inner workings of holdown detailing to thesis-level scrutiny.  Especially for wind-governed elements.

But for a structure that doesn’t have the redundancies, say a large commerical shell building, or a “high liability risk” structure, like multilevel multifamily, I’d “do more”.

I agree with the other posts approving of straps over sheathing, especially if it’s a lightly loaded shearwall.

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165