From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 6:35 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Tsunami

On Dec 27, 2004, at 12:35 AM, G Vishwanath wrote:

> I am taking the liberty to post a copy of my reply to
> a private mail received from a friend and well-wisher
I haven't replied to posts on the tsunami because words seem too weak.
Sorrow and sympathy are things you feel when someone's grandmother
dies; no one I know of can possibly imagine something of this sort, let
alone express a response in an e-mail. On the other hand, all the
anguish, as well as the unselfishness, I've watched on CNN makes me
want to say something.

> This is nothing but Nature indulging in "terrorism".
Nature does what it must. Humankind does what it wants--and wastes the
world's time and money on worthless shit like cruise missiles and
nuclear warheads and suicide vests and moronic religious arguments over
trifles. Governments and corporations and gangs of religious lunatics
find the money for cluster bombs and AK-47s and RPGs while Sumatran
children wade in sewage without clean drinking water waiting for
cholera to show up. You tell me which does terrorism. I'm not the most
pious man who ever slept late on a Sunday, but I do believe that the
Osamas and Rumsfelds and ayatollahs and bishops and CEO's and the rest
of the world's scribes and pharisees will be asked some day why they
dared to fight a stupid, evil war on December 28, 2004 instead of
getting together to replace fishing boats and rebuild villages.
Placating nature will be the last thing on their minds.

Just musing a bit myself, Vish, while we wait to hear from some of my
son's Indonesian friends. (Java and Bali, not Sumatra, thank God.)

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/