Re: Cranes: Curved Track Monorail

David,
I am a little late in replying as my computer went down
during a back-up on Xmas eve and I was unaware until to-
day.  Anyway, I will add my 2 cents to the others cont-
ributions.  I always check for torsion using Roark's
Formulae for Stress and Strain, looking at several
different support conditions and taking the worst
stresses from torsion and add them to the plane stresses.
Then I pick one size larger beam to allow for any dis-
tortions caused by the rolling process, which can eat
some of the material (up to 3/16" at the toes) and thin
the flanges. I have also checked using a computer
analysis. Be sure to warn your customer abt the
possibility of distortion from rolling.
Gary