Re: Cranes: Curved Track Monorail

David,

First of, curved track monorails are not uncommon. I
have seen several of them in operation in industrial
facilities.

In a typical, underhung, monorail, the bottom flange
has additional local stress from the bending of the
flange relative to the rest of the beam. The CMAA
publication (70 or 74) has the necessary formulas and
the governing criteria for stress check.

In the case of a curved track, the local stress
situation gets aggravated when the beam has a
curvature in the horizontal plane. Apart from local
stresses in the bottom flange, the web will also see
additional stresses from out-of-plane bending and the
entire section will be subjected to a combination of
twisting and warping. I have not seen any formulas
that are amenable for hand calculation. My
recollection is that some european code has some
formulas, but I have not come across that code.

It seems to me that FEM is appropriate for this
problem. SAP or STAAD can be used. The catch is in
coming up with a properly modelled finite element
system.

Rajendran