Re: LEARNING DYNAMICS

On Dec 29, 2004, at 9:33 PM, ASC wrote:

A 'hint' may be a distraction as well.
And it works both ways--when I misjudge and get too simple the poster thinks I'm patronizing him. ;->

I can perhaps suggest the book by the undersigned,
 entitled DYNAMICS OF STRUCTURES AND MACHINERY,
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS.
There are a number of used book sites on the web--my favorite is bibliofind.com. I've bought a number of really fine books at very friendly prices that way. _Vibration Problems in Engineering_ by Timoshenko and Young and _Mechanical Vibrations_ by den Hartog are classics. _Shock and Vibration_ by Harris and Crede is a good handbook. My all time favorite desk reference though is _Structural Dynamics for the Practising Engineer_ by H. M. Irvine.

Dynamics isn't rocket science, but knowing the fundamentals is extremely important. Unlike design codes, you need to spend plenty of time acquiring the thought process and learning to validate your judgements. Irvine's book is a great one for that.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/