From: bbyrom(--nospam--at)vollmer.com [mailto:bbyrom(--nospam--at)vollmer.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 9:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: CFS gage on drawings

I'm am trying to get an idea of what others are doing in practice.  I have
completed a couple of jobs where I showed the size and gage of exterior
non-loadbearing CFS wall studs in section (or gave the architect a gage for
his sections).  The contractor bids on the job using that gage, the CFS
manufacturer completes the design which changes some of these sizes, and the
contractor submits a change order for the difference.  Since I am ultimately
not responsible for the final design of these elements, I am leaning towards
not giving a gage on drawings in the future.  I assume that this would
require a bidding contractor to have the CFS sub do a preliminary design for
pricing, but it would relieve me from the responsibility.  Is this standard
practice?  What if the architect insists on showing the gage?

The reason that I ask is that I keep getting burned.  For example, I told an
architect that 20 gage 6" studs were adequate behind a brick veneer with 10'
flr to flr.  I checked the studs for L/600 deflection and bending, and they
were fine, but it turns out that there is a requirement in the masonry code
for 18 gage min.  Over a large project, the increased cost becomes rather
significant.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Brad Byrom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is confidential
and is intended only for the review of the party to whom it is addressed.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately return
it to the sender.