Re: CFS gage on drawings

Jim Wilson wrote:

Sure there a lot of different cases, but quite often
the calcs come back from submittal marked "reviewed
for loads imposed on structure."  Not only did the SER
not want to bother doing the design up front, they
didn't want to review it on the tail end because it
already has someone else's stamp on it.  I have hired
these outside engineers before, and they are likely do
do a very quick and dirty job (myself excluded of
course).  Some are working from their dining room
table, much as I am right now, working on a very tight
contractor's budget.

This is something I have to deal with from time to time: If I don't do it, it's either not going to get done, or it's going to be done in a half-*ssed manner by someone that the contractor typically uses because they are cheap--and darn well "worth" every penny not spent. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think I'm the only one around who tries to do a good job, it's just that I know too many engineers "for rent" who won't do nearly the "due diligence" that I will, and I worry about it.

My problem of course is making sure I get just compensation. That battle continues.