From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Interpreting Analysis Results - UPDATE

Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:

> -->
>
> The good folks at Research Engineers have guided me to the section of
> their technical reference which describes how STAAD.Pro interprets
> Mxy, p. 3-32.
>

> The user has an option to either ignore Mxy or to use the Wood-Armer
> equations.

Thanks for that info, Bill, it will come in handy in future.

Of course, Mxy is NOT a "STAAD-specific" phenomenon, but is derived from
classic "plates and shells" theory (a la Timoshenko and
Woinowsky-Kreger). As such it appears in any plate element analysis. I
had always considered it "additive" to through-thickness shear but I see
I must rethink that.

Thanks again.