From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 11:59 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)SEAINT.ORG
Subject: Re: SIP Panels

Jared,

While a well done vapor retarder on the inside will generally improve
things, it is generally not necessary on a SIP home if the joints are seal
properly.  We now standardly seal the joints with a panel seal tape in
addition to foaming the joints with a two-part, chemically curing
self-expanding foam.  Generally, this is more than adequate.

And you are quite correct...passive venting will not cut it typically in a
panel home.  At a minimum an air exhange unit is usually required.
Otherwise people end up with headaches from stale air or worse.  It also
can help with the moist/humid air in the house (assuming that the
exterior air being brought in is drier).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI