	From: Rich Lewis [mailto:sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
	Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 10:15 AM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: Segmented Retaining Wall Performance Specifications

	I am putting together a bid package for a segmented retaining
wall.  The package is a performance specification bid and construction.
I am not personally designing the wall.  I want to get enough
information on the documents so that the proprietary vendors will be
bidding on an "apples to apples" basis.

	I would like to get some feedback from some of you who have put
these performance specification type packages together.  I would like to
hear about what kind of information should be included and what
shouldn't.  If you have done this type of package and realized you
should have included "such and such" information and didn't, I would
appreciate knowing it.  If you have been burned by a contractor because
you didn't have the right information on your documents, I would like to
hear it.

	My documents include a generic specification and the following
drawings:

	*	Site plan showing grading contours and wall location
	*	Typical wall section showing battered wall and fabric
embedments.  They are minimum embedments with the design engineer
increasing them as required for wall design.
	*	Typical section also shows surcharge loading and
drainage aggregate and filter fabric.  Also, footing is the compacted
crush stone and a note requiring stabilizing existing soils below wall
footing.
	*	An additional section at a lake shoreline showing riprap
at base of wall, filter fabric below riprap and all the items on the
first section.
	*	Wall sections and elevations where box culverts and
large concrete pipe penetrate wall.
	*	Typical block unit detail showing nominal dimensions.
	*	Typical details of convex and concave radius corners
	*	Typical details for 90 degree corners, interior and
exterior.
	*	Geofabric lap details for the 2 corner conditions noted
above
	*	Typical step footing detail
	*	Typical cap details.
	*	General notes giving information about responsibility
for design, generic notes and geotechnical design information.

	There is also a written specification section for the project
manual.

	I got a lot of this information from NCMA design manual. I think
the one I had was the 1st edition and I understand there may be a 2nd
edition out now.

	Please feel free to email me privately if you don't want to post
on the list server.

	Thanks for your help!

	Rich Lewis
	Lewis Engineering