RE: Thickened slab detail

I also recommend a transverse bar at 48" oc so that the longitundinal bars can be wired to them. This prevents the longitundinal bars from rolling off their brick support into the soil when the concrete is poured.

Jim K.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Thickened slab detail

I look at the thickened slab as I would a continuous footing and select longitudinal rebar to meet the requirements for temp. / shrinkage reinforcement.  I select a width for the bottom of the thickened portion to support the load and the slope of the thickened slab is a construction issue… I show it at about 1:1.

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.

Structural Engineer

Member AISC, SEAKM

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.