RE: Are Roof Top Units considered Dead or Live Loads?

I have to agree with Rich Lewis.
One building I know, the roof collapsed due to unaccountable additional
load in the design. to my knowledge, to rebuild the roof, it cost about
$ 2 millions to the insurance company.

Himat

>>> sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com 1/4/2005 1:13:19 PM >>>
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been burned too many
times designing a roof structure to support mechanical equipment.  The
mechanical engineer gives me one weight value and two weeks later it's
different.  Sometimes the construction submittal comes in with
different
weights and the steel is already fabricated.  I have learned to add a
"fudge factor" to all mechanical equipment loads on the roof so that I
design the structure once, not 2-3 times.  I have never been able to
recoup the redesign fee of the roof structure from a mechanical
engineer.

I have also had equipment move after being given locations by the
mechanical engineer.

That being said, and considering LRFD load factors, I am inclined to
consider them as live loads.

Rich Lewis
Lewis Engineering