Re: Battered piers/piles

I suggest you discuss with a construction contractor who has experience in pier construction. It seems to me that a battered pier should be possible to construct. A casing, is probably, required to retain the hole. However, the casing should be steel and should be withdrawn as concrete is placed.

Analysis is no problem. A software such as Group 5 can analyze a group of battered piers for any combination of loading and pier cap. The software is not too expensive, although it takes a little while to get familiarized with it.

Rajendran

"Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com> wrote:
A few questions regarding battered piers/piles:

1. Can drilled concrete shafts be installed with a batter? (I would
think not, but I've heard rumor that it has been done before.)

2. If I have a deep soil retaining structure with significant lateral
load, I can come up with battered steel H-piles driven to refusal in
rock to resist the lateral load (2V:1H batter). But if I assume that the
pile resists the load axially, there is a significant vertical component
that exceeds the total vertical load of the structure - what happens to
the excess vertical reaction from the pile? (Most references I've seen
say to design the battered pile for the total lateral load but do not
address what to do about unbalanced vertical loads. But it seems that
the free-body diagram does not balance. How do bridge abutments using
battered piles handle this?)

3. Similarly, if I remove the lateral load but still want to resist
vertical load (such as for dead weight without applied lateral load),
the vertical reaction in the battered pile creates an unbalanced lateral
load (if it acts axially). What happens to the unbalanced lateral load?
(My proposed solution is to install equal and opposite battered piles to
exactly offset the lateral load - and neglect these battered piles when
in tension for the laterally loaded case.)

Any input or references would be appreciated.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311