Re: Are Roof Top Units considered Dead or Live Loads?

FWIW, section 1602 - Definitions of the 97 UBC Volume II considers a Live Load to be "those loads produced by the use and occupancy of the building or other structure and do not include dead load, construction load, or environmental loads such as wind load, snow load, rain load, earthquake load or flood load."

Table 16-B "Special Loads" assumes "7. Mechanical and electrical equipment.." to be a dead load.

Table 16-C note #1 only refers to local snow loads and does not mention mechanical loads.

I would assume, from this, that mechanical equipment is a dead load according to my interpretation of the UBC.

Dennis